Volunteer Advocate Application
What is support advocacy at TAP?
We have a couple goals: some we are able to execute right now, some we are excited about growing into in the future, once our capacity grows.
- Right now we are focusing on getting people moving forward on getting their legal documents, which includes sending them financial assistance.
- Some folks want help doing the research around the bureaucracy & the processes, some already know exactly what they need, have already done the research, etc.
- We practice recipient-centered and trauma-informed support, meaning we ask what folks want to see happen, how we can be of help if they need it.
- We are working with a basic intake form right now to collect enough information and nothing more.
- Working with each person can take a little bit of time, especially since most people would like at least a little bit of assistance doing research about what they need.
- It involves talking on the phone with folks and doing research on a computer, so it is necessary to have access to a phone, a computer and the internet on a regular basis.
This is the general idea just so you have something to work with while you're filling out your application. Feel free to keep your answers brief, as you'll have a chance to go into more detail during subsequent interviews and the training.
Jules- Advocate Director